Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Day 30: Donated Blood(sort of)

Well I hate blood, about as much as I hate needles. However, I saddled up and decided I would face my fear and donate blood today at Eastern. Unfortunately, I am just coming off of a cold and was ineligible. It is the thought that counts right? I hope later in the year I am able to make this up.

Luckily, I did have a brave friend who did donate. (I proud of you Tiff! You make these acts so much easier!) I was there to hold her hand and learn a lot about the process.  By donating a full bag of blood (500mL) you can save three lives-that is amazing to me! Also, blood banks are always looking for donors. I had assumed that blood drives happen only so often, but that is far from the case. For example, if you are in the Spokane area you can make an appointment on the link below and donate at anytime. OR if you are an Eastern student, there will be another drive on Valentine's Day this upcoming month. 
On another note, I have learned that while trying to make another's day, they end up making yours. Tiffany waited nervously in her chair, when the man seen below comes trotting (literally) around the corner. He wore his white lab coat and an enormous smile. He tells her "I could tell you are nervous and I just wanted to make you feel more comfortable with me." With that said, Tiff begins to relax and replies, "you're so happy." He then responded by explaining, "I am naturally a happy person, because I wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and tell myself 'no mistakes-today will be a good day." His spirit alone inspired me because he genuinely loved his job and helping others. Then when he gave us that piece of advice, he reminded me to be happy with who I was and to always wear a smile! Thanks Jerry!  

Have a random act of kindness you would like me to try? Comment below.
God bless,
Kailee





No comments:

Post a Comment