Sunday, January 27, 2013

Day 27: Attended The Lilac Coronation

I haven't been in Spokane long, but I have always been aware of the Lilac Festival. I never knew much about the festival itself or the beautiful young ladies, who sport crowns and matching purple outfits. The only thing I did know, is just that, the court is seven young ladies who always match and always wear purple. Tonight, I learned it is so much more.

Much like any other pageant system, there is so much more than meets the eye. To an outsider, these girls may look like just a pretty face, but they are determined, passionate and accomplished. Each contestant is a senior in high school and, if chosen to be a part of the court, receive scholarship monies.
(Before the show)

Each high school- public and private- in the Spokane area nominate one girl to represent their school. I believe I read there are 29 schools in all. Then after a long deliberation and judging the 29 girls are then cut down to the "Fab 14". These 14 young ladies are the lucky few chosen to compete on stage to be one of the seven in the court and ultimately the queen!
(The queen and her court)

At first, I hadn't really known what I was getting myself into. However, by the end of the coronation, I was so happy I had come and supported such an incredible organization. I hope the queen and her court have a fantastic year! It goes by too quickly...

No comments:

Post a Comment