Monday, January 21, 2013

Day 21: I Have A Dream

"I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.'...I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.I have a dream today."-MLK
Today is a celebration of what Martin Luther King stood for; equality and of the strength of this great country. Until a few days ago, I hand't realized that there are many ways to commemorate MLK. I knew the holiday was fast approaching and I wanted to do something that celebrated such an incredible leader. To find an event, I simply did a web search for MLK celebration in (insert city name). Baffled, I came across a plethora of events and information.  

For example, this morning I went into Spokane where they did a Unity March. 

If you are an Eastern student, you can donate school supplies to local Cheney schools.

Or simply, watch and really listen to the wisdom that Martin Luther acquired. 

This country has taken great strides since the death of such a wise man. In fact, today was the inauguration for our first African American president's second term in office. I am not even a democrat and I believe it was an incredible way to celebrate such a renown day.  

Have a random act of kindness you would like me to try? Comment below.
God bless,
Kailee


No comments:

Post a Comment