Friday, January 25, 2013

Day 25: Spoke Up About Human Trafficking

During Miss Washington week, I was so incredibly blessed to be surrounded by 21 smart, passionate and determined young ladies. I love my platform and know they feel the same about theirs. When I was trying to think of good organizations to support within my year of kindness, I thought to myself, "who knows better than 21 of Washington's best?" So, I will feature my Miss Washington sisters before they give their titles up. Salina was crowned during the sweeper pageant and will be competing for Miss Auburn tomorrow! I send her the best of luck and all my prayers! She is a phenomenal person!

Meet Salina Ellison, Miss Liberty

What is your platform titled?
SE: Human Sex Trafficking: Here in the US

How can someone get involved with your platform?
SE: The biggest thing with my platform is awareness. Even doing something simple, like posting statistics would be awesome.

Why did you choose this platform?
SE: I chose it because I realized how big of an issue it is and how little people know about it. Here are some stats that really shocked me. 
-Worldwide this industry generated 32 billion dollars over 1/3 comes from the US.
-500-700 minors re brought through and sold on the streets of Seattle weekly 
-Those numbers are what caused Seattle to be ranked 3rd highest in the nation for this crime

(Salina and I at Miss Washington 2012)

Before heading to school this morning, I wrote out several statistics about human trafficking on post-it notes. In between classes, I found random walls and mirror space to place the sticky notes. As Salina mentioned, awareness is the best way to be proactive. If at least one person reads the statistics, that is one more person who is aware of this epidemic. I know I was taken back by statistics, especially in Washington. After I learned more, I realized knowledge really is power.  









Also, I found this interesting video posted by UNICEF!


Have a random act of kindness you would like me to try? Comment below.
God bless,
Kailee

No comments:

Post a Comment