Sunday, January 20, 2013

Day 20: Encouraged Others

Two years ago, I had never imagined being in a pageant, let alone get on a stage at all. However, I was so so fortunate to have good role models, a circle of support and people to encourage me. They helped me find enough courage to sing on stage for the very first time and ultimately just have fun. I honestly don't believe that I could do anything without those who I count on the most and those who believe in me. Everyone, no matter in a pageant setting or not, needs a few words of encouragement to help them keep pushing further. 

Today was the first production rehearsal for Miss Spokane. Among the group, there are several girls who have never competed in a pageant before. Not to say that they feel uncertain about the process, but I remember how great it felt to have contestants say a few kind words to me. Encouragement can be as simple as a smile or as much as taking someone aside to instruct them.  

When someone is new to something, the important thing to remember is be patient! I can't tell you how many times I have seen people blow up on someone because they didn't catch on immediately. The consequence to showing your annoyed could really hurt the person and make them feel even more uncomfortable. Have you ever had that teacher who belittles the class if they don't answer the question correctly? Resulting in a class too afraid in speak up or try again. Obviously, this is the same case in most aspects of life. Calm, cool and collected is the way to go when encouraging. It is ok to make mistakes! We are all human and again, we all just need a little push sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment