Saturday, January 26, 2013

Day 26: Became A Big Sister

Today is the Miss Auburn Scholarship Pageant, which means a Miss Washington sister is passing on her title. Tera Sabo's platform is Big Brothers Big Sisters and this is actually how I came up with the idea of featuring my sisters. I had been wanting to get involved with this organization for sometime now, so this was a perfect opportunity. 
(Photo credit: Select Photography) 

A big brother or sister is matched with a little brother or sister and is to act as mentor to them. Because my platform is empowering youth to take the lead, I look for any chance to inspire youth and positively encourage them to chase their dreams. Big Brothers Big Sisters' mission is to provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one relationships that change their lives for the better, forever. How exciting right? If there is anything I have learned by working with kids, it is the feeling of pride and accomplishment you feel when you see them succeed and smile.  

You can become a big by clicking here. There are several requirements to be a big though, which include: 
  1. Must be 18 or older
  2. Must have a valid driver's license 
  3. Commit to 18 months 
  4. Visit with your little 2-4 hours a day, 2-4 times a month 
Although I haven't yet met my little, I am so excited for the adventures to come! 



Have a random act of kindness you would like me to try? Comment below.
God bless,
Kailee


1 comment:

  1. Nice work. I signed up to be a Big Brother recently. Still working on finding a match.

    ReplyDelete