Monday, March 11, 2013

Day 70: Spoke Up About Bullying

After a very busy weekend, Jordyn is finally getting back to the 'normal' life. But, if there is one thing that will remain the same, it will be her positive attitude and passion for her platform. Jordyn is an advocate for prevention of youth bullying with her platform titled, "Character Counts."

Meet Jordyn Hall, Miss Lewis County 2012
What is your platform titled?
JH: My platform is Character Counts; Supporting prevention of youth bullying.

How can others get involved with your platform?
JH: Just treat everyone with respect, or if you see someone being picked on, stand up for the targeted person! Because after all that's what a person with a morally sound character would do. 

Why did you choose this particular platform?
JH: I chose this platform because I was severely bullied in high school by my so called best friends. Which in return, made me drop out of school, lose my self worth and made my GPA drop to an all time low. But don't worry! The next year I gained enough self confidence to return and I was a stronger and happier person.



(That is the beautiful and intelligent girl I know! You go girl! ^^)


When doing some research, I came across The Bully Report on Do Something.  This is a full report on bullying for teens in the United States. Included in the report are startling and heartbreaking statistics like the one seen above. In addition, there is also a petition to sign, stating that you will stand up for yourself and others. Of course I signed it and encourage you to do the same; http://www.dosomething.org/bullyreport


Then after Jordyn and I talked, she brought it to my attention that the National Bullying Prevention Center also had a digital petition. I signed that petition as well and again more than anything encourage you to do the same; http://www.pacer.org/bullying/digitalpetition/


This platform is so imperative because so many children experience bullying in different magnitudes. Whether it be a snide comment or physical bullying, bullying is bullying. I, myself, was also fell victim to rude, insensitive and arrogant people, so I definitely can relate. Take a stand, sign the petition and practice what you preach!

As Ellen DeGeneres says-
Be kind to one another.
Kailee


No comments:

Post a Comment