Sunday, March 10, 2013

Day 69: Donated to the Ronald McDonald House

This afternoon Miss Seattle wrapped up a crazy pageant weekend. Congratulations to all of the contestants on their success and congratulations to all of the new new titleholders! Jean-Sun Hannah Ahn, Miss Seattle 2012, was another sister of mine who crowned her successor. Within her year, she has be an advocate for the Ronald McDonald House Charities!  

Meet Jean-Sun Hannah Ahn, Miss Seattle 2012
What is your platform titled?
Jean-Sun: Making A Difference in the Lives of Seriously Ill Children: Support for the Ronald McDonald House

How can others get involved with your platform?
The Ronald McDonald House charities is a global organization and anyone can help make a difference, whether is be simply making a donation to the house online, or even donating change to the boxes at your local McDonalds...anything you can give makes a difference. Anyone can volunteer at local Ronald McDonalds Houses, hosting movie night, activity nights and even dinners. Also promoting the organization through various social media outlets via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. The public will know you are supporting and raising awareness for this organization.

Why did you choose this particular platform?
I like to say that this platform found me. I was invited to an event at the Ronald McDonald House when I was a freshman in high school and the moment I stepped into the Seattle House, I knew I wanted to become involved and help make difference in the lives of not only these seriously ill children, but also their family members as well. Many times we don't realize that when a child becomes seriously ill it truly affects the entire family in more ways than one. I knew I could utilize my violin to help bring smiles to children's faces and bring joy in a time of crisis. In addition organizing fun filled events with music provided the opportunity for me to really get to know the children and families serving not only as a role model but also a friend. Consequently, my platform goes hand in hand with Mis America's national platform, Children's Miracle Network. As Miss Seattle, I was able collaborate with both of these organizations and serve as an advocate for both. It was incredible to be able to regularly visit the Seattle Children's Hospital where many of the patients also stayed at the Ronald McDonald House while receiving treatment. I know I will continue to volunteer and serve as an advocate for both these organization for years to come. I am so grateful to have had the many experiences I have had as Miss Seattle and look forward to what my future holds. 


My parents and I traveled to Yakima this afternoon to celebrate my mom's birthday and see the rest of my family. On our way there we stopped at good ole' Mickey-D's to complete my act of kindness for the day (and maybe a shamrock shake). If you haven't ever noticed, each McDonalds has donation boxes in front of the cash registers and/or under the window in the drive-thru. My dad and I both dropped a dollar or two into the box. The money collected from the donation boxes will then be used to help families!


(Jean-Sun and I after Miss Washington)

God bless,
Kailee

No comments:

Post a Comment