Sunday, March 3, 2013

Day 62: Homeruns For Hope

I am doing this a little backwards, but I thought this was so cool that I had to share! Before the game started yesterday, a very special man got to run the bases as part of Homeruns For Hope! This is a program affiliated with the Cancer Centers Treatment of America.

Homeruns For Hope allows cancer survivors to walk the bases before baseball games and, in yesterday's case, throw out the first pitch! As the participant ran the bases the whole crowd stood to cheer him on. And, in my opinion, the coolest part of the whole event was when both teams approached the dirt to high five Walter as he ran by.

During the game, my mom and I stopped by their tent they had set up. There I got to meet the man who ran the bases at last years game and he gave me a magazine that he was on the cover of. He was a year free from men's breast cancer.The tent also had an enumerate amount of brochures, flyers and goodies to hand out to make others aware of the Cancer Centers of America.

Finally, after the game the audience was asked to participate in the Stroll of Honor. My family and I went on to the field and strolled the bases. Once we reached home plate, we were then asked to announce the cancer patient we were walking in honor of. (I have a video I hope to upload when I get home) It was first cool to be on the field that the Mariners and Dodgers were on, but it was even more amazing to honor our loved ones in front of the whole stadium.

While I was on the field, I met Walter and his mother! He was such an amazing guy! :)

God bless,
Kailee







No comments:

Post a Comment