Friday, March 8, 2013

Day 67: Banned the "R" Word

This coming weekend there are pageants galore. Miss Whatcom County and Lewis County are tomorrow and Miss Seattle is Sunday! Of course, that means it is time yet again to say hello to a Miss Washington sister! Hannah was Miss West Sound 2012 and crowned her successor at the end of last year. This weekend she will be competing for Miss Seattle, so to send her my best, I wanted to give her a shout out now! Good luck to all of the contestants this weekend and Hannah I know you will do phenomenal! ;)

Meet Hannah Price, Miss West Sound 2012
What is the title of your platform?
HP: My platform is called 'One & the Same: Accepting Our Different Abilities'. It focuses on creating relationships and an understanding between individuals with and without disabilities. 

How can others get involved with your platform? 
HP: You can become an advocate and pledge for Spread the Word to End the Word, which bans the use of the word retard. In addition, you can promote Easter Seals WA and March of Dimes to support the growth of these programs in the state.

Why did you choose this particular platform?
HP: Firstly, my best friend growing up had a younger sister with Autism. The three of us got along great, and though I knew this young girl had a 'difference', it never bothered me. It did hurt me though to see her bullied and harassed and segregated because of this difference. This passion was re-ignited a few years ago when I spent three weeks in Beijing working in an orphanage for individuals with disabilities. It was the most educational and eye-opening experience I have ever had, and it really inspired me to continue spreading the message of acceptance and love in America through the MAO. 

Photo Credit: TCP Photography



As Hannah mentioned, one way to take part in her platform is to ban the word 'retarded' and there is a website to pledge to do so. It has always really bothered me when someone misuses the word and now I am able to spread the word to end the word! The website is http://www.r-word.org. Click 'pledge & be heard.' I just entered my information and took the pledge. Now, I am one of 357,457 who has officially banned the word from my vocabulary and I hope you will do the same!

On a side note, yesterday was the annual day for the campaign to end the r-word. So, this sounds like an even better time to pledge now!


God Bless,
Kailee



No comments:

Post a Comment