Sunday, April 7, 2013

Day 97: Be the Match

I find irony in writing this post because the Miss WA sister featured today held the title that I was bestowed today! Meaning that the class of 2013 is complete!

Meet Daniela Ferrell, Miss Northwest 2012

What is the title of your platform?
DF:The title of my platform is "Be The Match: The Global Bone Marrow Registry"

How can others get involved with your platform?
DF: Something you could do would be to register to be a bone marrow donor (if you're feeling bold), get a friend to, or simply spread awareness.

Why did you choose this platform?
DF: I chose this platform because 5 years ago my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 Lymphoma and needed a bone marrow transplant but there were literally no matches for him in the world. Most people don't realize that the odds of finding a match is extremely slim and for the majority of patients who need a transplant, it's their last chance at life.







After doing a little more research, I found that there is a lot more to know about bone marrow transplants then most people are aware of. For example:

  • There is a 35% chance that a patient will have a sibling who has a perfect match.
  • This year over 130,000 people will be diagnosed with a blood disease.
  • Only 2% of the population is currently on the registry
  • About 1,000 people die yearly because they were not able to find a match.
It is incredible what you can learn when you take a minute to inform yourself. Now, I may not be brave enough yet to volunteer myself for needles, but I know that there are many brave souls out there! I encourage you to do your homework, see what you can learn and possibly become a donor!

God Bless,
Kailee


No comments:

Post a Comment