Monday, April 29, 2013

Day 119: Feed Cheney

This evening I was able to take part in a very cool experience here in Cheney. I have been wanting to get involved with a club at Eastern called Circle K International (college version of Kiwanis) for the longest time and finally found time today. Basically, this club looks for community service opportunities. We took a trip down to the Cheney Community Center, where they serve meals for those in the community in need. In addition, attached to the community center is also a clothing donation bank which is open late on Feed Cheney days so those who eat can also shop.
After talking to a woman who helps organize these dinners, she explained that:

  • Feed Cheney on average feeds 80-100 people
  • Groceries are also available from Second Harvest
  • Feed Cheney is a monthly event, happening the last Monday of the month
  • The different courses are prepared by different groups and organizations like Second Harvest and a local church.
  • Volunteers are a huge blessing and make this dinner possible.

The rest of the group and I were asked to clean off tables and put away the tables and chairs. During my time cleaning, I was able to talk to other volunteers and learn a lot more about the program. In general, I was able to have a good time and meet some very nice people. I gave the lady in charge my contact information, so hopefully I will be able to come back help and help in the future. 

It is amazing that you live somewhere and be so unaware of the opportunities that await you until you go looking for them. Open your eyes, start looking because I promise you won't regret it! 

God bless,
Kailee 






No comments:

Post a Comment