Monday, May 27, 2013

Day 147: Paid My Respects

Happy Memorial Day! I hope everyone enjoyed their weekends. I sure did because I was able to take a trip to Seattle to see friends, family and a new Miss Washington's Outstanding Teen. On my way home this afternoon I made a pitstop in Yakima to see my grandma and visit a place that holds a very special place in my heart. For those of you who don't know, I was born in Yakima and lived there for the first 5 or so years of my life. This is where all of my grandparents are from and where my grandmothers still reside. This means, unfortunately, that I have lost both of my grandfathers- too early I may add.

Buried just down the street from the house I grew up in, is my mother's father. That, is part of the reason why this particular cemetery is dear to me. But, it is also special because on a nice day my grandpa would take my brother and I down to the cemetery to feed the geese and ducks in the pond. Being there today brought back memories that felt like a life time ago and yet it feels like yesterday. I wasn't the only one paying my respects today. There was a great amount of people dropping by flowers and spending a little time with their lost love ones. It was a bittersweet feeling to be back, but mostly sweet knowing that my grandpa is in a much better place now. And although my dad's dad wasn't buried close to where I was today, he was still on my mind and played an instrumental part in my life.

Overall, it was just a fantastic day spending time with family and remembering those who have/ are serving to protect this great nation. God bless each and every one of them who are so selflessly placing us before them. We appreciate you and we thank you not just today, but always.

God bless our troops
God bless America
& God bless you,
Kailee

No comments:

Post a Comment