Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Day 121: Suds For Scholarship

Last week my professor announced that we would not be having class this week due to an event he was attending called Suds For Scholarship. He proceeded his announcement by explaining that this was an event run by the PRSA- Public Relations Society of America- to raise money for their scholarships they award students every year. With a $10 admissions fee, those who attended would not only get dinner and 3 drink tickets, but also get the opportunity to bid on auction items. As  a communications student, the best part of the night- in my opinion- was networking with some of the most prestigious business men and woman in the comm world here in Spokane.
After finishing up some work and errands, I swung by the Steam Plant to see what was going on. I had missed the auction and there was only about an hour left of the event. With that being the case, the nice woman at the door told me it was not necessary for me to pay the $10 admission fee. But I had come to give back to the scholarship organization so I told her about my blog and gave her a $5 donation. I thought I would stay for a few minutes, say hi to my professor, grab a snack and head home, but I ended up talking and networking with others for more than an hour. To think that I had thought about not coming! I would have missed the opportunity to talk with one of my judges from Miss Spokane, converse with a young woman from the largest PR/ communication business in the Northwest and I would not have met a very sweet lady in charge of communication for Campfire, who asked me to help her this summer with PR. I promise you...opportunities are out there. They are knocking, but it is our choice whether or not we answer or not.
To learn more about PRSA and the scholarships, click here! Or here for the Greater Spokane PRSA.

God bless, Kailee

No comments:

Post a Comment