Friday, May 17, 2013

Day 137: Raised Money For A Child With Cancer

Cancer sucks, period. Together we fight, strive to find a cure and raise money for those in need when we can. This afternoon I was able to fundraise for a 8 year old girl from Pasco who is battling rhabdomyosarcoma. Never heard of it? Neither had I. After learning a little more about it, I found out that it is a cancer that usually develops in skeletal muscles. Specifically, this young lady has alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma, which forms typically in older children's legs or arms.
A few girls and I staked out at Walmart and asked for donations for Sarah's medical bills and traveling expenses. In return, the donor would receive autograph cards from the three Miss America titleholders there helping and a wristband. The band is like the one below and read, "charity never faileth." The phrase was chosen by the young girl fighting cancer and the coral colored bands are her favorite color. Overall, we raised over $300 and received donations from people from all walks of life.
Why I love events like this is because I am fortunate to meet incredible people and listen to their stories. Several people today donated because they had lost someone, or had battled cancer themselves. How incredible it is to see everyone stand as one and fight for a common goal. The best part of the day was when a young girl walked up to the table and said, "how much do I have to pay you for an autograph and bracelet?" (For both we were asking $5) When Janae explained, the little girl said, "Oh, what can I get for $1? That is all I have?" Of course we were not going to turn her away empty handed. I purchased a bracelet minutes before hand and took mine off and gave her mine and Janae and I gave her autographs. She lit up and I just knew that meant so much to her. God bless eveyone who stopped to learn more about Sarah and who donated!

On a side note, Austin and I also ran the Glow Run 5K this evening. The registration fee went to the American Cancer Society. It was so much fun and they raised over $30,000! Together we are all fighting to kick cancers booty!

God bless,
Kailee


No comments:

Post a Comment