Monday, November 25, 2013

Day 329: Why not?

Before I dive in, I need to preface the story for you. About 3 weeks ago, a friend of mine expressed her adoration for country singer, Scotty McCreery. It wasn't but a few days later that we then learned he would be in town on November 25. He would be playing a FREE concert in Spokane. The catch? The only way to get into his show was to win tickets from a radio station. Disheartened, but still optimistic, my friend Logan and I tried to win tickets, but we had no such luck. Then, on the other hand, I must say I am a pretty cautious person. I am not one to take large risks because it actually scares the crap out of me…but I am working on it.

Today finally rolls around and we are all at a friends house for a friendsgiving (Thanksgiving with friends) dinner. Logan was disappointed that she didn't win tickets but hey you don't win them all, right? Then a spark of hope! Another friend at the dinner announces that a friend of hers was at the movie theatre and Scotty was there to watch a movie. Now, keep in mind that while Spokane is a large city with multiple theaters, the outlying areas are vastly smaller and there is only one theatre in Airway Heights with about 8 screens in the theatre. This just so happened to be where Scotty chose to see a movie…most likely to avoid crazy fans (whoops)!

As we sat in the living room, talk started about how cool it would be to be at the movies with him and what are the odds that he is there? Several girls said with a joking manner, lets go find him. Then I finally say, "No seriously. Why don't we go to the theatre. If we see him..great. If not then we get to see a movie." There was a slight moment of hesitation, then a little freak out and then before I knew it 4 other girls and I were in my car and headed to the theatre.

When arriving at the theatre, we had a 1/8 chance of choosing the right theatre. Well, just like that…strike 1, 2 and 3. We may have been down, but not out. We finally settled into Catching Fire. As mentioned before, if we couldn't meet him, the least I was going to do was enjoy a movie. After sitting still for a good hour, my friend Mallory gets up to use the restroom. However, when she returns her whole demeanor has changed. She comes bounding up the theatre stairs and motions for us to come with her. Scotty's movie had just let out and it was now or never to say hello. Except it would seem that we all lost our voices (and courage) and couldn't get the words out. Finally, I think to myself it is now OR never and shyly say, "umm Scotty…may we get a picture with you?" From there on out, it was all great because we were able to say hello and take a picture. Logan was dying and still probably is…I may need to check on her in the morning! ;)

Overall, he was very sweet and courteous. However, meeting Scotty is not the act of the day. The act of kindness is somewhat for myself and somewhat for others. Too often in life we ask, why? When truly the question to living a full life should be, why not? Although every bone in my body was telling me to stay in the comfort of the nice apartment, my gut was telling me to take a chance and just drive. Although, I couldn't find the words to ask for a picture, my heart was telling me it was all going to be ok. And I found that when I stepped up to the plate it eased the situation and allowed others to step up too.

I guess what I am trying to say is, what is life living in the safety of your comfort zone? Do a favor for yourself and live outside…no better yet just destroy that box. When you do, you may just inspire someone to do the same. One of my favorite quotes is "simply live, don't just exist."

God bless,
Kailee 

P.S. Thanks for being so understanding Scotty! 





No comments:

Post a Comment