Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Day 58: Cereal Drive

The other day I went to the bank to get something notarized. When I walked into the bank there was a table full of cereal. Of course that caught my attention. In the center of the table was a flyer that explained the bank's ongoing 'Cereal Drive'. They were accepting all types of cereal- individual sized boxes, large boxes, sweet cereal, healthy cereal- as donations. With that in mind, I left and waited for a better day to particpate.

Today, I was on my way home from school and remembered the Cereal Drive ended soon. So, I ran to the dollar store and grabbed a few boxes of ceareal. On the flyer at the bank, I noticed something about the Cheney schools and Cheney Middle School in particular. Well, I ended up trying to donate the cereal to the middle school and was sent away. The school had never heard anything about this Cereal Drive.
  


I was confused, so I ended up calling Banner Bank. They informed me that the bank was where you could drop off donations. When I got to the bank, I learned that the Cheney schools were in fact on the flyer. But, it was not for the reason I had orginally assumed. The cereal obtained in the drive was then donated to the schools for their "Backpack Program." The teller at the bank had explained that this was a before school program , where students could go and eat a nice breakfast. Especially, if they did not have the means to buy a meal. Overall, this was a great learning experience. I learned about a great local program and was able to give back. It's random opportunities such as this that have great outcomes. Keep your eye out for opportunties like the Cereal Drive!
 
God bless,
Kailee

No comments:

Post a Comment