Monday, February 25, 2013

Day 56: Operation Beautiful

It is my honor to introduce two more Miss Washington sisters. Ironically, both girls have the same platform and have crowned successors. Their platforms work with Operation Beautiful, loving yourself and sharing the love with others. I wanted to feature these girls this month because February is the month of love! Both Tasia and Sadie's stories are inspiring and beautiful. I am so grateful to know each of them and so happy they allowed me to share their stories!

Operation Beautiful's mission is to end negative self-talk or "Fat Talk." The site states: "If this little blog only does one productive thing, I hope it helps readers realize how truly toxic negative self-talk- it hurts emotionally, spiritually, and physically." You can find more about this organization by visiting their website.

Meet Tasia Jungbauer, Miss Thurston County 2012
What is your platform titled?
TJ: My platform is Encouraging Self-Esteem and Smart Decision Making in Young Women. 

How can others get involved with your platform?
TJ: Something that could do in relation to my platform is post sweet and inspiring messages in random places for people to find. I made a bunch with my Girl Talk girls (a mentoring group I started at my local middle school) and it was fun thinking of messages, finding quotes, decorating them and then hiding them.

Why did you choose your platform?
TJ: I chose my platform because I grew up in a house with a single mom, my grandma and my twin sister-so our house was full of women. My family and other female teachers, and mentors throughout the years made such a big impact on me when I had rough times in my own life. So when it came time to choose a platform, I knew helping  young women is what I wanted to do!





Meet Sadie Johnson, Miss Clark County 2012
Why did you choose your platform?
SJ: I wanted to reach out to our youth, particularly young women and encourage them to embrace who they are. Because of my involvement in gymnastics, I struggled with my body image ever since the age of 6. I was always on a diet. Not because I was fat but because that what you do when you're a competitive gymnast. When I hit puberty at 14, I tended to be anorexic and then at 17 became bulimic. Although after treatment at 18, I consider myself "normal" I think the thought of never being good enough still haunts me. This is why my platform is important to me...I want to change this pattern, even if it's in one person's life. When I spoke at schools, I received great responses and it made it not so embarrassing to talk about. It has taken 3 years to come out about it, but it has been 5 years now, so it seems like another life! Thoughts are all controllable and that's what I wanted to make a point about as my platform. For everyone regardless of age, gender, ethnicity...embrace themselves and love who they are and who they are meant to be.

Again, I listened to the pros and created the little stick it notes below. I placed them in various places around school. I know that if I saw a positive affirmation note, it would make me smile!

God bless & remember you ARE beautiful just the way you are!
Kailee

No comments:

Post a Comment