Friday, February 22, 2013

Day 53: Supported PE in Schools

In 24 short hours we will have a new Miss Grays Harbor, which means it is time to meet another Miss Washington sister. Melissa Hornback is our current Miss Grays Harbor and her platform is Childhood Obesity and P.E. in schools. An interesting fact about Melissa is both her and her mom held the title of Miss Grays Harbor. Thank you Melissa for your year of service and best of luck to the contestants.

Meet Melissa Hornback, Miss Grays Harbor
What is your platform titled?
MH: My platform is officially Childhood Obesity and P.E. in Schools.

How can someone get involved  with your platform?
MH: I've focused a lot on raising money to buy simple things like jump ropes to donate to schools. I would suggest talking to an elementary school in your town to see if you could come in to a P.E. class and just spend the day with the kids encouraging them to keep moving. They love it when you do gym class in your crown!

Why did you choose your platform?
MH: I chose it because of a P.E. teacher I had in high school who really emphasized the education side of the class. Kids today go to P.E., they run around, and they go back to class, but no one ever really teaches them about why physical activity is so important. My teacher not only made us run laps and play volleyball, etc., but he talked about the dangers of not exercising, like obesity, which can lead to diabetes and high blood pressure. It really changed the way I look at physical activity and I wanted to share that with kids. 


After talking with Melissa, I was inspired to give back to a local school. I went to Bi-mart and took her advice. I bought a few cans of tennis balls and donated them to the school close by. I remember when I was in school, I would get so excited to have new basketballs or soccer balls to play with. New things can encourage the kids to be more active and I hope that the tennis balls are put to good use!


God bless, 
Kailee

No comments:

Post a Comment