Tuesday, December 31, 2013

DAY 365: New Years Kisses & Reflection

We did it! 365 days under the belt. And when I say we, I mean it. This entire year would not have been possible without everyone who supported me. Without my parents, I can sincerely say I would not have made it. Also, thank you to all of my friends who jumped onboard to help me think of ideas and helped me complete several acts. I can safely say that the last year has flown by and has definitely been a test for me. I have learned so much about myself and about people in general. Before I reflect back on the year, first let me tell you how I rounded out the year.

With the new year just around the corner, people anxiously wait for the clock to hit midnight. Some look forward to a brighter future, while others look forward to that moment when the clock strikes 12 so they can kiss their loved ones. Well, for those of us that who don't have anyone to kiss, I am here. However, my kisses are in the form of chocolate. I boxed up a few mints (so your breath is just right) and Hershey kisses to help ring in the new year. Along with the chocolates and mints I added a note that read, "Happy New Year! These kisses are mint to brighten your day." Then my dad and I ran around and handed them out to people and placed a few on cars outside of the grocery store.

So…now that I have officially completed 365 days of kindness, it is time to take a look back. As mentioned, I can't believe how much I have learned within one year and they are listed below.

I don't say thank you enough. I went through the year going above and beyond to express my gratitude and what I found was pretty amazing. People are great. They do great things on a daily basis. They don't expect large praise or fame, but I think all they really need is recognition. They like to know that they are appreciated and what they do matters, because it does. It is awesome to see what their reactions are when you simply say thank you. As the new year rolls around, I dare you to say it more.

I don't stop to "smell the roses" enough. So many times this year I would be looking ahead to what is to come and too busy planning my future. I tend to do this often. I don't allow myself to truly live in the moment and enjoy the present. This is something I am really working on.

People will amaze you. With so much hate and anger circulating throughout the world, it is nice to know that not all of my hope in humanity is lost. Throughout the year, I have met and interacted with people that have astounded me. People still want to make the world a better place. You just have to give them a chance.

Opportunity IS out there, find it. Anything you want and everything you want is out there. Sometimes it takes stepping outside of your comfort zone to go find it. It may require some work and time, but time will pass anyway.

Don't just count your blessings, give them a tight gracious squeeze. If there is one thing that I repeatedly thought, it was, "wow am I blessed." I have  enumerate blessings. Too many to count. While working with people who are less privileged than I am, it really made me appreciate the things I have.
A smile NEVER hurts. It is a scary thought, smiling at a stranger. I mean I can't believe Im the only one who thinks, "what if they took that smile the wrong way?" Truth is a smile is almost always returned with another smile. Again, I dare you to try this one.

Just do it. Nike said it best. If you have your heart set on something, just do it, say it, show it. Whatever! You may not always get the result you want, but at least you're not asking what if?

Those are just a few things that have come to mind. And I know I will continue to reflect on this year because it will be one to remember. I also plan on continuing my blog with new features like my travels and my bucket list. For now, I will focus on school and graduating in six months. You can follow this journey I call life on my twitter and instagram @kailee_dunn.

One year ago today I wrote,
"Every once and awhile I will participate in a random act of kindness without the intent of a thank you or praise, but to instead inspire others to do the same. When an opportune moment presents itself, act! I guarantee somewhere down the line that act will be appreciated and hopefully duplicated. In fact, that is how I got here! "

My hope ultimately is to have inspired at least one person to do something nice for someone. You all have inspired me! Happy new year my friends and God bless all of you.

Until next time,
Kailee 


1 comment:

  1. I'm super honored to be a friend of someone who has a heart as passion as large as yours. Thank you for all the wonderful things you have done this year, they have not gone unappreciated! I am looking forward to what you do with 2014!

    ReplyDelete