Saturday, December 14, 2013

Day 348: Christmas For The Forgotten

During the cold and frigid winters, there is nothing I like more than wrapping up in a warm cozy blanket. And if there is something that I love more it is getting cozy with a blanket and spending time with my family. Unfortunately, not everyone is able to see their family during the holidays or some may not have family to visit with. 

However, an incredible women from Tri-Cities didn't want those people to be forgotten during the holiday season. A week or so ago, Shelly Meyer started an event on Facebook titled, "Those Forgotten at Christmas." She goes on to explain her motivation behind this incredibly thoughtful task and then presents her call to action. She says, 
As many of you aware.... My dad has been ill and is currently in a skilled nursing facility (nursing home) until he can get strong enough to move into an assisted living facility. 
When I arrived at the Richland Life Care facility I saw so many elderly people that are there for the entirety of their living days. It was VERY sad to say the least. MOST of them do not have any one to come visit them.
As the nurse, Mary, was showing us around, I noticed they were decorating for Christmas. I asked her if any of these people have anyone to visit them at Christmas and she said "No." She said "unfortunately, they people are disposable and it's heart breaking." I can not imagine leaving any family member there to die.....
Of course this is NOT acceptable!!!! My sister, Jacque and I were talking about what could be done for these folks for Christmas. We came with the idea of buying them nice cozy holiday blankets. There are 72 elderly living in this facility.
This is my idea:) I am hoping to get enough donations from kind hearted people to either donate money for us to purchase a Christmas blanket OR purchase a cozy Christmas blanket yourself to donate. I would be more than happy to share my paypal account info to allow people to donate. If this creates funds for more than 72 blankets, then the remaining will be donated to the Living Care Center is Kennewick.
Something needs to be done for these people that will brighten their day and make them feel like they are not a burden to society. 
                             
Although Shelly and I had never met, I admire her so much for doing this that I just had to help. My Mom and I ran to the store and bought a very snuggly red and green plaid blanket. When we dropped the blanket off with Shelly, she explained that the idea has exploded and they have over 160 blankets for residents at three retirement facilities. She is still gladly accepting donations and you can learn more by joining the Facebook event. There you can also get updates about donations and learn how you can help to deliver the blankets on Christmas eve!

                                     
God bless you Shelly.

Sincerely, 
Kailee

No comments:

Post a Comment